Tuesday 9 April 2024

New Endeavour

This blog has been set up to document a new endeavour - I'm going to do a solo run-through of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th edition ('WFRP 4e' from now) of 'The Enemy Within' campaign, now published by Cubicle 7 Games.

This page gives a good overview of WFRP 4e and how the rules work, saying "Simply put, it is one of the most finely-crafted roleplaying games I have ever read" - something with which I agree

This reddit thread and this RPGnet thread both give info on why The Enemy Within campaign is widely praised as one of the best RPG campaigns ever

I purchased all the pdfs that are in the campaign from Humble Bundle along with the WFRP 4e core rulebook recently and have been reading them while listening to actual play podcasts - the youtube playlist - and am itching to start.

I've put together the characters (which can be reached from the WFRP Party page) and given each of my characters 2,000xp (henchmen 1,000xp) mainly because I have no interest in low-level grind (and repeated failures are not entertaining for me) but also because the pre-generated characters provided in the WFRP starter set have 2,200xp each,

Within the actual play posts, I'll be showing out-of-character (OOC) game rules posts in the format of the next paragraph:

  rules speak will be shown like this

Any OOC comments I make will be in bracketed italics prefaced by OOC, like this: (OOC: Cintoria's short-term ambition)

As I've been beginning this new endeavour, I've been listening/watching LAWhammer's Actual Play YouTube videos of The Enemy Within, which have inspired several things for my play:

  1. Instead of "o'clock", I'll use "bells" - so it's not "9 o'clock", it's "9 bells". As a footnote to this, clocks are 'relatively' common in my Warhammer world - most 'establishments' like shops, inns, etc. will have one, as do middle-class homes and upwards, but not the lower-classes and the like. Also, instead of "quarter of an hour" and the like, it's "quarter of a bell".
  2. "The dice of doom" - if something random might happen, each character rolls a d10. If an '8' is rolled, the bad thing happens. 8 is bad as it matches the 8-pointed star of chaos and for the same reason, 88 is the worst roll possible.
  3. Instead of "minus Success Levels", they'll be referred to as "Fails". So if a character misses by 20-something, it's "2 Fails" and not "minus 2 Success Levels"

So now to begin ...

No comments:

Post a Comment